Sunday, October 18, 2009

Stumbling upon local? Back Yard Boyz (BYB)

NOTE: This blog is explicit and should not be read unless you can handle the graphic nature of "gangster life" in my home city, Picayune, MS.



GET YUNE WIT IT, a video about Picayune, MS "gangster life" portrayed through music and video... Just being upfront about my blog, like always I am going to be fairly critical of this video. Not to say these guys are not talented, I am personally not fond of the expression put forth.

The lyrics has a lot to say about "sucking dick" and "niggas," from what I have heard. Being a musician, I know all about expressions and emotions being conveyed throughout ones musical expression. I understand at times you need to express in vulgarity of sorts. However, with expressions, one SHOULD be able to since a level of maturity or decency, IF in fact one IS trying to express a mature and/or decent tone/message. I have friends who do comedy rap, but from everything I have seen, this music is not being portrayed as comedy rap, but rather local gangster rap. I could understand this video further if they didn't want to be taken seriously, like comedy rap or something along the sorts, or maybe they don't want to be taken seriously and I am misinterpreting them.

I can see right away the display of piss-poor morals. I shale only pick out a few key words I hear, by far not all the questionable lyrics in this song. In personal life, I typically refuse to use the "n" word other than a direct quote, as it's disrespectful slang with a bad past tied to the word. I honestly feel, the "n" word should just be avoided at most costs, as the word seems to cause much controversy and is generally not edifying in any sort. Furthermore, use of the word combination "suck/sucking dick" in the lyrics are not extremely listener friendly also. Why does many rappers feel like they have to be vulgar and moral-less to be successful? Vulgar and moral-less is not a prerequisite in the music industry. In-fact one limits there self in the musical field with use of such harsh language, at least without just-reasoning behind the lyric wrote.

This group from what I have seen displayed, has potential to make music worth listening to. With enough effort put forth, they will have the ability to get popular, at-least regionally as this areas rap market has room to grow. I will be following the music they produce to see how they further mature in music. Hopefully, they "civilize" the lyric a degree or two, and they will be listenable from my standpoint. I try not to slaughter the people, I I truely believe they have talent and potential. Just the song here in question is a poor representation.

3 comments:

Pimpinsincebeenpimpin said...

What up world I am responding to the Yune Wit It Video Bash. Me personally I think it's great that these young guyz are doing something creative with their time besides selling drugs, robbing , and stealing from people. As bad as the economy is they are trying to find an avenue to produce some revenue. Yes the words are harsh at times but from my understanding this song is three years old they ran into a guy that made videos for a nice price and was ready to work, so they dug up something for the Yune. I know this isn't everybodies Yune But some black folk still live in da project ya know, somethin like where dem boyz come from. Where petty shit exists I'm pretty sure you've watched the wire. (Without the killing of course). So this video may not be North Hill approved, and the mayor and chief of police might not stand behind it, but they still stand and I respect them for that. On a upper note, I have heard some of their new music and they are hittin the game at all angles so don't sleep on BYB they do have more to offer, Peace and Hair Grease to you all.

Pimpinsincebeenpimpin said...

What up super dweeb nice segment on the local gangsters me personally I think the Video was tight as hell. Every body has a fuck off session from time to time you look like you know what i mean. Give the boyz a chance I heard some more recent music from them and it seems promising. Its not all Gangster with the N word they really have some conscious music and shit that makes you think. You will see, they are soon to be dropping a mixtape. Check em out lyrically insane mane.

Unknown said...

dat song is gucci